What’s your tumbleweed ratio?
Just a bit of fun, let’s see you calculate your TR (tumbleweed rank) ratio and see what your score is.
TR? WTF am I on about?
Well, how many times have you blogged on something and received less than 2 comments on your post? Why 2? Well, it might be you have a wife or a husband or a GF or a BF or a stalking loon who just happens to like anything you write and comments on anything and everything. If this is so, then sorry, but for the purposes of TR (tumbleweed rank) they just don’t count. Sure, so you may well have 2 adherents who love you bad and stuff, lucky or unlucky(dependant upon your view) you, most of us just have the one, or none even.
The measurement criterion is thus.
Count your last 3 months number of posts and then subtract the number of posts that were commented on. With the remainding number, calculate what this is as a percentage of your 3 month post rate.
If your % of non comment posts is less than 10% of your overall post rate then you are a TR1, 20% TR2, 30% TR3, etc 36% would be a TR4 (rounded to the nearest multiple of 10)
So, in my case – Ive made 53 posts of which 23 received less than 2 comments. My blog therefore is currently TR4 (43.3% of my blog posts received no comments)
If you don’t have a big readership then the chances are you probably have had your fair share of no response type blog posts. These might well have been savage rants brought on by some sub cerebal neurotic dysfunction, or the more likely scenario might just be that your utterly crap post written with 1740’s pre georgian verve and panache, just failed to inspire. Perhaps they were the type of posts that just lost it, as in rambled on and on with no real point, other than the one you knew in your head, yet failed miserably to communicate to your readers.
Whatever the reason we’ve all made them, we’ve all heard that silent wind. If you have a TR of 5 or greater than I’d say that either you a) need to up your readership rate or b) need to seriously look at some of the stuff you are writing and make a big hmmn noise!
Cos I’m really sad, after easter I’m going to make a function that calculates it for you. I’ll release as the TR WP plugin 😀
It’ll have a little icon of some tumbleweed with a little face and a number. Just think,if you ever stumbled across a blog with TR5 or greater, then you could be a real sweetie and help them reduce their TR 😀
Happy Easter all 🙂Posted on: 5th April 2007, by : Rob Watts